What is Paediatric Care Online?
Paediatric Care Online (PCO UK) is an online decision support system designed for healthcare professionals who see children at the point of care. This innovative tool provides immediate access to clinically assured information to inform decisions at point of care, together with a repository of supporting reference material and patient information.
Launched in 2016 by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, in partnership with the Royal College of General Practitioners, Royal College of Nursing, Royal Pharmaceutical Society, Institute of Health Visiting and the American Academy of Pediatrics, it aims to improve the safety of child healthcare and transform how health professionals access vital medical information. Find out more about our partners.
PCO UK is available anytime, anywhere on desktop, tablet and smartphone devices and the powerful search function offers
quick access to critical information utilising the latest semantic search technology.
To find out more about our mobile app click here and watch out short film below.
Paediatric Care Online is packed with top resources:
- 112 Key Practice Point decision support tools covering the common signs and symptoms and critical care situations.
- Public Health England's "Green Book" Immunisation against infectious disease in a fully indexed and searchable format.
- The British National Formulary for Children covering the prescribing, dispensing, monitoring and administration of medicines to
- The RCPCH Child Protection Companion covering all forms of abuse and the spectrum of paediatric involvement: from examination, to identification, to referral, to court.
- Searchable by paediatric conditions and keywords, the Guideline Directory contains quick links to national clinical guidelines. All guidelines are either developed by NICE or SIGN or endorsed by RCPCH.
- Links to patient and carer information and resources accredited by the Information Standard.
- Links to resources and e-learning content for child health professionals to support and enhance their paediatric knowledge and practice.
- Access to the US-based AAP Text Book of Pediatric Care with more than 3,000 pages of content and images.
About the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, often referred to as the RCPCH, is the professional body for paediatricians (doctors specialising in child health) in the United Kingdom. It is responsible for the postgraduate training of paediatricians and conducts the Membership of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (MRCPCH) exams. It also awards the Diploma in Child Health (DCH), which is taken by many doctors who plan a career in general practice.
Key Practice Points - Decision Support Tools
Take a look at how the KPPs were developed with an explanation of our editorial process.
Key Practice Points are concise, easy-to-use decision support tools designed to assist healthcare professionals with diagnosis and treatment management at point of care. From abdominal distension to wheezing they offer clinically assured advice on 'red flag' signs and symptoms and referral pathways, incorporating National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) and Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN) guidance where available.
Meet the Paediatric Care Online Editorial Team who oversee development of these KPPs.